Monday, April 18, 2011

Recipe Roundup Part 1

We had our wonderful church home group over last night for a cookout and to celebrate one of our friends giving his heart to Christ (PTL!)
(**On a side note, he is a super funny guy.  His name is Saulo and when he was telling us that he had accepted Christ, he said maybe his name shall now be Paulo.  We were cracking up- too funny! Maybe his spiritual gift is humor? He also said that our BBQ should be a "saulo"bration....)
 Anyways, we were having almost 20 people over so to cut down on the cost of food, I decided to make homemade salsa and a dessert from 'scratch'.  They both seemed to be a big hit so I thought I would share them here too!

Restaurant Style Salsa- Pioneer Woman Recipe
(Her directions are way more detailed and she photographs every step.  It will not hurt my feelings if you just go to her website.  Really, its ok.)

TPW_5376

Ingredients:
*1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
*2 cans (10 oz) Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
*1/4 cup chopped onion
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1 whole jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin
*1/4 tsp salt
*1/4 tsp sugar
*1/4 tsp cumin
*1/2 cup fresh cilantro
*1/2 whole lime juice
(I have made this numerous times now, and to be honest I do it a little differently each time.  I also quit measuring and do it all to my taste preference.)
 
Directions:
You will either need a food processor or some type of blender to make the salsa.  I use a hand blender but that is really only because I gave away our blender during our last move because I didn't want to pack it. But all you need to do is combine all the ingredients in your blender/food processor/bowl and blend until it is the consistency you prefer.  Then taste your salsa and adjust ingredients as needed.  I typically add more lime juice and salt to mine, but thats just me:). 
**Side note, this recipe makes a very large batch so its great for parties or for people who really LOVE salsa!

I will post the Chocolate Bark recipe later in the week, so keep an eye out for it soon! Happy Monday:)



No comments:

Post a Comment