Monday, April 4, 2011

P is for projects

I had noticed a new Pottery Barn knock off DIY floating around blog land recently and decided to give it a whirl. Have you seen these in a recent PB catalog?

Live Moss Letters

I LOVE the moss letters.  They are so cute for Spring and Summer and when do I not love using a monogram?? Well PB was charging like $75 or some crazy town price that I was not about to pay...so I decided that I too could have this super cute spring decor the DIY way.  So off to Hobby Lobby I went to hunt for the perfect materials.  I was in luck!  I found everything I needed and on SALE too! 

Here is what you will need:

(ignore the mess in this picture...I haven't mastered the cute staged blog photo yet:)

-hot glue gun
-glue sticks
-Letter of your choosing: I chose the cute gold letters that Hobby Lobby has that are 3D and have more of a type style font.  It was on sale so it only cost $5!
-1 bag of Reindeer moss (in the floral section at HL)
-ribbon (optional)

How to make your own mossy monogram:
1. Cover your work space so that you dont get bits of moss and hot glue strings all over the place.
2. Using small bits of moss (I found quarter size to be best), hot glue the moss to the front of the letter piece by piece.
3. Repeat method on to sides/edges of letter.
4. Fill in any holes where you can see the gold of the letter peaking through.
5. When you are content with the moss coverage of your letter, you can attach the ribbon to the back of your letter.  I used wire gold ribbon because that is what I had leftover from Christmas, but I am sure any ribbon would work:).  I looped the ribbon around the letter and tied it in a bow at the top.  I then hung it from a door hook.  If your letter does not have a circular part, you could easily hot glue your ribbon ends to the back of the frame.  Just make sure if you want a bow to tie your bow BEFORE glueing the ends!

Here is how mine turned out:


Tada!! Cute right? It took less than an hour from start to finish (while watching TV sporatically) and it cost around $10! It makes me happy:) 

Happy crafting!!

1 comment: